Re: [RC] a vet perspective and a nutural horse foot perspective - Sisu West Ranch

Unless something has changed in the last few years, homeopathy starts from the idea that like cures like.  If you have convulsions use strictnine etc.  The maker of the preparation then does a serial dilution of the poison until it is at the proper dilution, then administers a small amount of this preparation.

Being a chemist, I calculated how many molecules of the substance would be in an average dose.  It turned out to be less than one.  In other words, a vanishingly small amount of the stuff.  The proponent of homeopathy then said that the vigorous shaking of the preparation "potentiated" the water molecules so even though there was no actual substance given the "potentiated water" would cure the ills.

From this I concluded:
Homeopathy could do no harm, because nothing was being given.
Homeopathy was not science, it was most closely connected to sympathic magic.
I do not want to use magic on my animals.

Ed

ps.  I am aware that some users of homeopathy also use herbs, some of which do have curative properties.  I am also aware that there are a whole bunch of testamonials as to the efficiency of homeopathy available.  Testamonials are not scientific proof of anything.  I have a character flaw, that prevents me from believeing things that can not or are not scientifically proven.  I do not intend to change my mind.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640