Re: [RC] horse feet problems - Karla Watson

I recently had 2 hot nails (close nails) on my gelding that took almost 6 weeks to heal. They both absessed and caused a very lame horse. I basically had to leave the shoe off and let that foot grow out. He was lame for about 2-3 weeks, then slowly got better and was tender last few weeks before farrier came out and put shoe back on with a pad. Vet said to wait a week after 100% sound to put shoe back on. I had him in easy boots with wrapping under that, changed daily (he is on pasture) from week 1 thru week 4-5, then barefoot. Once that foot grew out he was completely normal.
----------Karla Watson/Oregon

I DO!  JJ had an abscess on his front right foot, this was a week before
thanksgiving.  The ferrier came, removed the front shoes, made sure the
abscess was open on the bottom of his foot, and I soaked it in Epsom salts
and put iodine in the hole for 5 days.  The ferrier re shoed the front feet
on Monday. By Wednesday he was lame again, but further down the same hoof,
with the abscess coming out at the bulbs of his foot.  Started re-soaking
the foot, packing it with poultice to draw out abscess...(also was put on
antibiotic for 10 days SBZ?) the ferrier couldn't get out before 5 days,
took off the shoe and said to stop soaking the foot and continue with the
iodine...WELL...many days later, the ferrier came again, took off the other
3 shoes and said that JJ is going to be ouchy for awhile.  If I try to pick
up the hurting foot to treat it with iodine and peroxide, JJ refuses to pick
up his foot. I was then told to try soaking the foot in apple
vinegar....which I did..JJ smelt like salad dressing...
Anyway, his leg is normal, there isn't any heat...though where the abscess
hole is it is still sore.  I did have JJ inside for a week so his foot would
stay clean, he is now happily (though I am sure a little cold) outside. He
is still limping, though he is more interested in where grass is...
How long does this type of injury take to heal?  Any other "nursing"
solutions?  Any advise is gratefully accepted.
Thank you all and Happy Holidays!
Chris(Crash) & JJ(Gimpy)