[RC] horse feet problems - Christina McCarthy

"Anybody have any serious
issues with their horse's feet? Problems, solutions, etc? Anybody need some
advice, or have some advice to share?"

I DO! JJ had an abscess on his front right foot, this was a week before thanksgiving. The ferrier came, removed the front shoes, made sure the abscess was open on the bottom of his foot, and I soaked it in Epsom salts and put iodine in the hole for 5 days. The ferrier re shoed the front feet on Monday. By Wednesday he was lame again, but further down the same hoof, with the abscess coming out at the bulbs of his foot. Started re-soaking the foot, packing it with poultice to draw out abscess...(also was put on antibiotic for 10 days SBZ?) the ferrier couldn't get out before 5 days, took off the shoe and said to stop soaking the foot and continue with the iodine...WELL...many days later, the ferrier came again, took off the other 3 shoes and said that JJ is going to be ouchy for awhile. If I try to pick up the hurting foot to treat it with iodine and peroxide, JJ refuses to pick up his foot. I was then told to try soaking the foot in apple vinegar....which I did..JJ smelt like salad dressing...
Anyway, his leg is normal, there isn't any heat...though where the abscess hole is it is still sore. I did have JJ inside for a week so his foot would stay clean, he is now happily (though I am sure a little cold) outside. He is still limping, though he is more interested in where grass is...
How long does this type of injury take to heal? Any other "nursing" solutions? Any advise is gratefully accepted.
Thank you all and Happy Holidays!
Chris(Crash) & JJ(Gimpy)