[RC] Arab/Kiger mustang cross - Julie Fuller

Tracey,

We have a half arab/mustang morgan cross. She looks just like a kiger type/arab cross in that she's colored like a mustang with all the shadow bars, shoulder strips etc but has an exquisite arab head. Her base color is reddish buckskin roan, with black points, mane and tail, and no white. Her mane and tail are threaded with silver and gold.

Conformation -wise she's what you would think would come from the cross... she's stocky, 14.2, very well balanced. If I have to fault her, it's that she could have higher withers, though that has improved with age. She was three when I got her, she'll turn 8 this summer.

Her gaits show the morgan influence. She's got some nifty leg action. Nothing dramatic, but a far cry from my Arab mares ground covering power trot! She's learning to extend under saddle. I know she can do it, cause she can sure cover ground in the pasture! She's is the fastest of the three horses, both of the other being Arabs.

She's got awesome feet, the hardest I've ever seen on a horse. She's an easy keeper, drinks at any water she finds, no matter how awful it may look to us humans. She's extremely sure footed, loves to explore, and is very personable, in spite of her neglect as a baby (or perhaps becasue of it) She was very very thin when rescued by a woman who logged with mules, who then halter broke her (she was over a year old) she was eventually bought by another woman who started her as a three year old, then I bought her a few months later. Now my husband rides her, and shes not shown any preference to either sex. She loves people, and gets along well with all other livestock. She is definitely boss mare here, in spite of being the youngest equine. The others are 33, 16, and 11)

I've always thought arab/mustang would make a good cross, just like QH/Arab seems to work very well. My other mythic indestuctible endurance horse would be a pony/arab cross...not the hot blooded ponies, but a good back yard sheltand, or a POA. But then I'm biased.. I love ponies!

Julie the Long Winded
Washougal, WA