Re: [RC] [RC] Riding amongst wildlife - Truman Prevatt

Ah yes the "gator encounter."  They either dive into water making a huge splash which gets most horses fired up. They have been know to turn and hiss to buy themselves time to slither off. A hissing gator will do wonders for the demeanor of a horse. Now the hogs they see are not so bad, it's the ones that run out of the brush between their legs!  Had that happen a few times.

For cougars or more precisely the FL panther, I've seen tracks. I've had my horse acting like "something was out there" then as saw the tail of a big cat running in the brush.

I don't even bother to count deer any longer. It is pretty normal to "race a few deer" during a early morning training ride. For bear, I've seen one in CO and my horse just stood and watched as she and her two cubs crossed the trail in front of us. But I am sure given the brush in FL a FL black bear would provide a little more surprise. I've seen what I think may have been one running in the brush - but I can't be sure. I was either a bear or some very harry hunter without clothes ;-).

Truman

Amber B Fort wrote:

The Alligator:  entering the cane field on an overgrown rode and riding bareback.  A 12 footer launches into the canal, the horse does an about turn on his hind legs, 1/2 rearing, me clutching mane and saying..... well use your imagination!

Hogs and deer are almost mundane compared to the otter and the gator, however they usually get the biggest reaction from the horse.  I think because we are usually almost on top of them and surprises are handed out all around.

My current mount, Jerry, has seen so many wild hogs coming and going that usually he just snorts and keeps going as they run off.

I have actually seen black bear tracks, just hope we never come across one.  I think that covers it for wildlife encounters via horseback.

--
“Fragile as reason is and limited as law is as the institutionalised medium of reason, that's all we have between us and the t

“Fragile as reason is and limited as law is as the institutionalised medium of reason, that's all we have between us and the tyranny of mere will and the cruelty of unbridled, undisciplined feelings.”   Felix Frankfurter