[RC] [RC] Riding amongst wildlife - Amber B Fort

Living in Florida, one can come across all kinds of wildlife.  Actually, I live out in the 'sticks' enough that the wildlife frequents my yard/pastures.

But to keep this with riding experiences, we (the horse and I) have come across:

The Otter incident:  Horse, dog and I riding in the cane fields which are lined and cross lined with irrigation ditches came across the biggest otter I have ever seen.  The dog, faithfull trail companion and fierce protector, took stock of this critter and decided that MAYBE he ought to leave that ONE alone.

Again riding in cane fields, came across a bobcat drinking from one of the ditches.  Apparantly she had cubs as she looked like she was nursing the way her belly hung.  She bolted, the horse stopped and looked and continued on.  Luckily, the dog never saw her.

The Alligator:  entering the cane field on an overgrown rode and riding bareback.  A 12 footer launches into the canal, the horse does an about turn on his hind legs, 1/2 rearing, me clutching mane and saying..... well use your imagination!

Hogs and deer are almost mundane compared to the otter and the gator, however they usually get the biggest reaction from the horse.  I think because we are usually almost on top of them and surprises are handed out all around.

My current mount, Jerry, has seen so many wild hogs coming and going that usually he just snorts and keeps going as they run off.

I have actually seen black bear tracks, just hope we never come across one.  I think that covers it for wildlife encounters via horseback.

Amber Fort
"Performance with out parameters"
Home to the Black Arabian stallions:
Kaysa Jerry (72% CMK)
Black Streak (Pure Polish)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=