Re: [RC] Riding Safety on the Trail - Sisu West Ranch

We have decided that a vest with many pockets is better than a fanny pack. Fisherperson vests, photographers vests, or construction forman vests all work. Mine even has a special pocket for a cell phone.

What you need depends on where you are. We carry:

Matches in a water proof box.
Pistol (It would be a good idea to teach the horses to be steady to shooting) (Not everyone should carry- it is a personal decision complicated by the state laws where you live/ride, and your attitude towards the aws. )
A fire starter made by dipping a rolled piece of newspaper in parafin wax.
Knife (the basic tool that started our rise from the apes) (if you want a knife for a last ditch defence from wild animals or persons, make it a BIG non-folding one and keep the sheath where you can get at it.)
Compass (only useful if you basically know where you are or have a map)
Map (if in an non familiar area)
Water (somewhat optional in our area as there are lots of streams. We figure that if we have to drink from a stream, we will watch for Giardia when we get back)

Of lesser importance/use

cell phone (we'd have to climb to the top to get coverage here)
high calorie food (we could live for weeks from the "fat of the land")
GPS (a help if in totally strange areas)
Large square pieces of cloth. (to make bandages, tie splints etc.)

We have considered bear pepper spray, but have not invested yet. It is certainly better than prayer for protection.

Many people like to carry minor first aid stuff. We feel that a cut that can be treated by a band aid, or by ointment will wait until we get back home.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875