Re: [RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding... Get a grip people - Joe Long

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:15:22 EST, OTTOWY@xxxxxxx wrote:

In rebuttle to Joe Long that children have to wait to drive cars until they
are 16.  Well, kind sir, in Idaho they can drive at 14 and if you have a
special permit, 15 in Wyoming and heck if you are a farm kid you can drive at
any
age you want as long as it isn't on the highway!   I know I started driving at
5
with the hay wagon.  So to use this example is comparing apples and oranges.

Surely you noticed that I wrote "public highways," and that 16 was used because
that's the most common age (not the only one)?  Didn't you notice that I said it
is none of the AERC's business what parents do with their kids at home, or
anywhere outside of an AERC sanctioned event?

None of those facts you mention  "rebut" the points I was making.

Children aren't being left alone on the trail, they have adult supervision.
A license is saying that you don't need adult supervision anymore.
Mmmmmm.....could that be why they are called JUNIOR riders??? and need a
sponsor??

Yep, sponsorship is great, for those children who are old enough to ride
endurance but not old enough to compete on their own.  I've sponsored many
juniors, including a National Junior Champion, and loved it.  I helped develop
and pass the provision to allow 14-year olds to ride unsponsored after they have
500 miles completed.

The issue here isn't the ten and twelve year-olds, but the five and six
year-olds.  There is a vast difference between those age ranges.

Believe me, the heavens will not fall if a child has to wait until her eighth
birthday to ride an AERC sanctioned ride.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx