[RC] Was Fitness-Now Trail Dogs - Marv Walker

I usually lurk, but had to respond to Karen's post regarding Ridgebacks.  Nothing against Karen, we've actually corresponded and visited at Convention, but I think she had a dud of a Ridgeback!  I have several, and they are the most loyal companions, and are always more than willing to go with me, where ever...whenever...no matter what the weather...And they have defended me from attacking dogs, scary people, and occasionally from perceived dangers.  (Strange dogs invading our spot in Ride Camp, tumbleweeds blowing against the truck in the night, jackrabbits eating our hay, etc..)  They are very athletic and fast, and don't "heel" the horses.  A 20 mile training ride is their favorite thing, with a few side trips to chase rabbits or coyotes.  They are very warm to sleep next to on those cold Spring or Fall rides, too.  I've had a couple ACDs over the years, and always ended up finding them new homes with cattle ranchers, where it was OK to bite heels and noses.  Well, there's my experience, FWIW.  Back to lurking! ;)

As I think I posted before, I had one of those suck up to me after
a several year long mutual dislike session.  She belonged to my
business partner but after an instantaneous truce she forgot all
about them and decided her and I were a team.

I grew to love that dog as deeply as we hated each other but man,
she was only operating on half a thruster.  She was a good trail dog
though.  One day her tail hit the electric fence and for two days I
was exploring every trail for miles looking for her.  From the first
cold day in the winter to the first warm day in the spring she was
an undercover dog who slept like a rock as long as that rock was
weighing down your legs.  Warm?  Delightfully so.  She was so dumb
she stuck her head in a food bag then stood there waiting for daylight.
Horses?  What are those?  Protection?  You stay, I go!  Just delay
them while I run for my life.

When I could put it off no longer I made the vet show up at the clinic
on a Sunday afternoon and as she lay there on her car seat I did the
most difficult animal thing of my life.

Man, I miss that stupid mutt.

Marv "'I loved that dog as much as any man could love man's best friend.
But when the time came, I helped him along.  I owed him that much in the
end.' - Baxter Black" Walker
Amazing Hoofpick: http://VideoBookStore.com/hoofpick.htm