Re: [RC] Fitness - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 12/14/2004 6:04:06 PM Central Standard Time, Alison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

It IS simplistic.  But so is most of life.  There are two kinds of people in this world.  Those that DO what they want to accomplish and those that DREAM about what they want to accomplish.

It is your choice.  Just like Karen said, if you want it badly enough, you will make it happen.  A lot of us started with old trucks and rickety trailers whose only strong point was the floor!  We didn't go to a lot of rides, just as many as we could afford.

Boy, ain't that the truth!  I started out with a used truck (that died on the way to my first ride - so that ended up *not* being my first ride since I never got there LOL), and a rust bucket trailer.  I slept on the floor in the dressing area part, and got soaked if it rained since the roof leaked.  I rode the only horse I had at the time, an Arab mare who, it turns out, *hated* distance riding.  I "retired" her after 5 LDs.  She simply hated the sport.  I started with a heavy western saddle, and no tights (rectified that latter shortage after my first ride!  <G>)  I've since upgraded through several smaller trailers and now hubby and I have a LQ, but it means additional sacrifices, especially since my husband now rides (which is wonderful!).  Of course, now when WE go to rides (since we're both going), it means boarding our two large house dogs (an Akita and a malamute) at a kennel, unless it's winter and not raining, in which case we take the malamute with us.  Neighbors care for our other 3 dogs, 6 house cats, and the horses left behind.  But in order to fund our riding, we don't take vacations (unless it's to a distant ride), we seldom eat out, we don't have snazzy furniture in the house, we don't have nice clothes (unless you consider a fairly new pair of jeans "nice"  LOL), etc.  I have a 4 year old gelding that I'm still trying to get the money together to send to a trainer to get started under saddle.  But, we're enjoying the sport.  Perhaps not at the level we'd do it if we won the lottery, <G> but we're having fun.  And our money goes to the best food and vet care for all of our animals first, and the farrier comes every 5 weeks.  If that means skipping a ride because all of the cats and dogs were due for their vaccinations and we don't have money left to go to a ride, so be it.  Hubby and I also make Christmas and birthdays do double duty by getting each other endurance-related items that we need as gifts.  :)  The key is to do what you can, and figure out what sacrifices you can make, or are willing to make (keeping in mind marital harmony <G>) to get the dollars to fund your addiction.  :)

Dawn in East Texas