Re: [RC] My Mare is she JUST being a mare? - Cathy

 I agree with Lynne about a pain response.  You might also look at what your instructor is asking you to ask of your horse.  I had an experience where a dressage instructor was asking my mare to "get on the bit" and "stay on the bit" before she had the muscles to do it, then had the audacity to tell me that I needed to throw her on the ground to teach her who was boss.

She isn't my instructor any longer, I don't care how good she is.  Like your mare, my mare was a sweet heart before starting what was suppose to be starting level work.  Since I've backed off and made sure she understands what is being asked of her and has the muscle and conditioning to do it, she's a sweet heart again.

You may be asking too much of the mare too soon.  She hasn't done a 180* turn from her former self for no reason and the likely hood that it's "the real mare coming out" is a bunch of bunk.  By the way, my mare is MFT.

Cathy