[RC] Tie Ups - Dean A. Conti

Is it possible the horse had too much time off? How many miles/riding did Drin and Ruffy do in the intervening 6 weeks? Jimmy has looked best when we kept busy between rides and not as good when I gave him a few weeks off. After six weeks off I pulled him from a cool, wet ride in September because he wasn’t metabolically acting normally. (He was fine later that evening). Clearly my “one rat” study is not scientifically valid. Anyone with more “data points” for this idea?

Dean (and Jimmy the heavily muscled, 15.3 QH who doesn’t want to experience a tie up!!!)

From: "StephTeeter" <stephteeter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: RE: [RC]   Tie Ups

Drin - I'm curious, hope you don't mind my questions. How much

riding/conditioning

did you do with Ruffy after the 3-day ride? What was the travel to the ride

like? Any

difference? I wonder if the cooler weather for the October 100 mile ride had

anything to do with

it- I think there were at least 2 tie-ups at this ride. And more metabolic

problems in

general than the August 100.

(Drin's horse Ruffy received overall Best Condition on the Owyhee High

Country 3-day ride

in August - not a fast pace on any of the days, but the horse looked

fantastic at the end

of the 3 days. )

The ride where she tied up was 6 weeks after the 3-day I think. Plenty of

time for rest.

Sometimes it seems like the fitter they are, the greater the risk of tie up.

Steph