Re: [RC] Re; Tie Up - Susan, Princess of Pink

You've hit upon several things that happened to my horse this past weekend.

We'd done a 2-day 100 just 2 weeks prior to this ride, a 50.  He finished up front and strong both days (maintaining our 8 mph average), won BC the 1st day and reserve BC the second (to a fresh horse).  I gave him pasture rest for 2 weeks.  He runs around the 40 acres all the time and works up a sweat.  Since this is the end of the season and we had rides every 2 weeks, I don't usually ride him much inbetween rides.

So, about 2 miles into the ride this w/e, he get's tangled up in a thorn vine, we get free, but he's not so energetic.  He's trembling and I sooth him to no avail.  He moves out freely.  He doesn't feel "right" to me so we return to camp.  His croup is rock solid on both sides but the rest of his rump is normal.  He had electrolites the night before and the morning of.  All metabolic parameters were normal.  The weather was VERY cold but he's used to it (a pasture horse).  No change in feed.  The vets called it "BAD LUCK".

I know of at least one other horse, ridden very conservatively as well, that started tying up.  So, I'm wondering if the cold weather had a little to do with this.  I'm having a muscle enzyme test done on him today and see what's going on now.

Any conclusions?  Ideas?  thoughts...suggestions?

Jim & Drin Becker <rainbow@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
" Drin - I'm curious, hope you don't mind my questions. How much
riding/conditioning
did you do with Ruffy after the 3-day ride? What was the travel to the ride
like? Any
difference? I wonder if the cooler weather for the October 100 mile ride had
anything to do with
it- I think there were at least 2 tie-ups at this ride. And more metabolic
problems in general than the August 100."

Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)