[RC] Re; Tie Up - Jim & Drin Becker

" Drin - I'm curious, hope you don't mind my questions. How much
riding/conditioning
did you do with Ruffy after the 3-day ride? What was the travel to the ride
like? Any
difference? I wonder if the cooler weather for the October 100 mile ride had
anything to do with
it- I think there were at least 2 tie-ups at this ride. And more metabolic
problems in
general than the August 100."

When I came home from the 3-day ride I gave her 10 days off with turnout (10 acres) and full grain and hay rations because I knew I was coming back to try her first 100 miler and didn't want her to drop any weight . I then started her back on our riding every other day schedule but maybe substituted some of our shorter rides with longer rides which is a 15 mile mountain/climbing loop at speed . I did haul her to the ride by herself but she trailers very well though I did notice her water intake was down while hauling but then was normal at ridecamp and I got to Oreana on Thursday and the ride was not until Saturday . And I stop every 3 hours and let her out and I believe it is about a 7 1/2 to 8 hour drive from my place to Oreana . Steph I don't think that weather was a factor as we were having snow at my place and I had to keep her blanketed with a neck and hood to try and keep the winter hair off her as I had decided not to shave her . I was more worried it would be too warm but I thought the weather was perfect . One thing my vet mentioned was that I should treat my hauling day like a rest day whereas I had been counting it as a ride day in my schedule , so maybe giving her wed. , Thursday off and a light ride on Friday was too much for her although it has never bothered her before but like you said the fitter they get maybe more chances of a tie up ?
Drin Becker
Mtn Region