Re: [RC] LD's and 50 garbage - Lynne Glazer

Lianne, some people are incapable at viewing the bigger picture, blocked by their own experience. Agreed, LDs are building blocks for some but disagree that everyone should start out with one: if you happened to have the self-discipline, the time and the ability to do training rides of 25 miles or more on your own, the only reason to consider starting with an LD might be to just "learn the drill"--for the human--learning how the vet checks are operated if it's the first time at the sport, for instance (of course I think those people should volunteer at a ride first!) Or with a younger horse, learning how to camp out and eat/drink without stress, but many bring a conditioned horse ready for 50 miles and up completion-not-racing without it being "stupid or funny" at all.

Some horses can trot through a 25 and not learn anything about how to take care of themselves or save some for later, and then at the next one they do be absolutely terrifying in their intensity to "win". That was my experience with my greenie--so we quit the game until he can do 50--he's one of those who needs to "see God". He didn't hurt himself at that second ride--and it was "only" about 6 miles of wrestling with that intensity, and he took care of himself "perfectly"--he won a blanket for perfect vet score, but what I learned is that there wasn't a hole in his conditioning, but rather one in his mental conditioning, hard to replicate in training. If it had been a 50, he'd've gotten to the 35 mile point or so and realized there was more to this than he thought.

And I've learned that it's best to very carefully pick the initial event for a horse like this one--one where you can get off and walk, safely, while other horses pass, so if he needs to spin around me in frustration, nobody is at risk. I learned that pre-riding the start can be dumb indeed as your horse argues with you that he knows where he's going, and we can WIN! :-) Starting behind the pack (waaay behind the pack) would have been a better strategy for this horse.

I do believe that some horses are better off starting at multidays, even if they just go and do one day--the excitement level is lower, the camp is full of been-there, done that horses.

Anyway, just my experience.
Lynne