[RC] tying up - larry Miller

Had one horse tie up on a ride.  That was my gelding and it was because I didn't give him elytes.  But then in the 70s few of us knew about elytes so that was a great learning experience.  Another tie up occurred when another gelding was off and laid up.  I did not reduce his grain.  Another learning experience.  My mares have not tied up.  Maggie is quite obnoxious when in heat and her pulse might remain a tad higher than her normal, but she trucks down trail the same.  But I have learned not to increase grain unless the horse has been on a training ride.  I do not give extra grain before a ride either, in fact the night before, I give less.  But then I am blessed with a 20 acre pasture so I don't have to feed alot of grain.  Conclusion is that each horse is different and the rider has to figure out what works best for his/her horse.  Jeanie