[RC] cost of shoeing - diane vieira

I feel very fortunate to have a good farrier. I've heard many terrible stories from overcharging, to not showing up, to bad shoeing from many of my friends. My guy Steve has been the only one to ever shoe my horse, as he was mostly ridden in arenas and soft trails and was barefoot till I got him.
We live in an area with mostly decomposed granite for footing, so without shoes, he had hardly any heel.

My shoer is never late, very friendly and talks about everything he does and charges $80. Bo has never lost a shoe (8 years now!) and we can go 7 to 8 weeks between shoeing. If I do more than one endurance ride in between, he cracks up at how worn down the shoes are and tells me I really get my money's worth! He always puts new shoes on. Bo has never had a lameness issue of any sort and we have done some wild riding, there are some really rocky places in So. California!

In return for his professional dedication to my horse's care I always make sure to be ready when he arrives, offer coffee, make sure my horse knows how to behave (he's excellent) and I give him a gift certificate every year at Christmas!

He is very valuable to my horse's health and my horse loves him, too. He whinnies when the truck comes up the road and will come right to the fence for me to halter him.

I hope that bragging about him doesn't jinx me!!

Diane Vieira
Agua Dulce