Re: [RC] $ cost of shoeing - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 12/9/2004 2:50:16 PM Central Standard Time, christina_mccarthy@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

how often can shoe's be put back on the horses feet
before they need to be changed to a new shoe?

It depends on how many miles you ride, what sort of footing (riding on rocky ground or gravel roads will wear shoes faster than riding on dirt), and other factors.  We ride mostly on dirt, so our farrier can *usually* reset the same pair of shoes once.  He doesn't like using them a third time, even in the unlikely even that they still have plenty of steel left, because he feels that the nail holes start to wallow out a bit and increase the potential for losing shoes.  It's only $5 more when he uses new shoes.  But like others have said - find a farrier you like and who does good work and is on time, and treat him like a precious gem...because he/she is.

Dawn