Re: [RC] Cost of Shoeing - Cynthia Eyler

For St. Croix Eventers all around, with borium added to the heels, I pay $140 here in the Baltimore area.  Paid $40 to have the shoes pulled and feet trimmed a week ago.  During the season, my gelding is done every 4-6 weeks depending on his rate of hoof growth and our ride schedule.  Now we'll go about 8 weeks until his next trim and then shoe again about four weeks after that.

This farrier is so busy that he doesn't need to put up with the hassle of taking any new clients.  He was willing to come out for my one-and-only horse because he knew me and my gelding from a prior boarding place and because my horse is now located close to his home.

He shows up on time (or early, so I try to be ready early), and he seems to enjoy answering my questions and discussing issues about shoeing.  He likes having a client who knows something about her horse's feet and wants to know more.  He has only one other endurance client, but he does lots of eventers and foxhunters.  And, very importantly, he knows how to deal with special-needs horses.  My gelding has never been lame in the hind end, but something causes him to react (involuntarily, confirmed by farriers and vets) with spasmodic jerking when a hind leg is raised high and to the side.  This farrier is able to work on those hind feet without difficulty by extending then directly to the rear and not raising them too high (he says that doing yoga enables him to hold that position, and that my gelding is not the only horse on his client list with this problem).

This guy is worth every penny he charges, and I'm thrilled to have him shoeing my horse once again.

Cindy