Re: [RC] Cost of Shoeing - Jon . Linderman

Not only is it regional, I think it varies greatly by what you have done.
For example I get race horses reshod at the track for $60, including trim,
new shoes, and borium & we are talking 30 minutes tops.  I pay at least
double that for my endurance horse who gets aluminum shoes, pads, equithane
filler, and small tungsten tap in studs from my farrier who comes to the
house for our other horses.  He also bends my ear for a considerable length
of time about everything from his wife and teenage daughters driving him
nuts, to politics, etc.  But, I galdly pay for the slow patient approach he
takes & its also hard to factor how many times hes come out late to reset
sprung shoes the night before an event at no charge.  He also takes the
time to explain where we are and where he thinks we should be going.  Sure
I could get shoes "on" for a lot less, but shoes are just a part of the
purpose hes there.  Hes there for his expertise in helping to keep my
horses sound & frankly in that regard hes darn cheap!  I say any farrier,
particularly in CA, who can afford to put on 4 new shoes for less than $100
& pay the highest gas prices in the continental US.........hes working
cheap!  My God bending over under a dozen 1,000 pound horses a day, driving
a few hundred miles a day to get nagged at by every horse owner who thinks
its the farriers fault the horse is losing shoes or unsound? Why would
anyone want that job for the $ they get.  Like RM's, farriers get my
whole-hearted thanks & I refuse to quibble over prices with them & always
give a tip with a hearty thank you.

Jon

                     "Christina McCarthy"

                     <christina_mccarthy@h        To:
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                     otmail.com>                  cc:

                     Sent by:                     Subject:  [RC]   Cost of
Shoeing
                     ridecamp-owner@xxxxxx

                     durance.net

                     12/09/2004 12:16 PM

Can somebody explain to me the cost's involved in shoeing?  The 4 shoes
certainly and taking them off and on?  Cost of ferriers time,
trimming...everything.  Currently I get charged 95$ every 6 weeks and the
shoes are removed, trimmed and I guess put back on...is that a good price?

What about just removing the shoes?

Thanks for all your input..

Chris & JJ