[RC] Feeding Questions - Patti Kuvik

From: Val Nicoson <sweetmare55@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Feeding Questions

Just attended an equine nutrition seminar that is
shedding new light on the feeding of horses and would
thoughts on this new program from others.  I may
decide to go with the one-rat study on my own horse to
see whether I see any improvement or not.

Hi Val -
I do some diet balancing for a few members of the Equine Cushing's List
(after studying equine nutrition intensively for a few years after my mare
developed Insulin Resistance problems) - one of my primary goals is that
people understand what and why they're feeding their horses and make sound
decisions based on good research.
Susan G's reply on Ridecamp is right on - if you haven't already, read her
articles at http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/index.shtml .
At first, after looking at the web site and products, I felt "just another
one making bucks off of unsuspecting horse owners trying to do the right
thing". Wow - $43 for approx eight days worth of magnesium and chromium
(Syndrome X Formula) - I can do that for six months for three horses for $43
(I buy bulk magnesium oxide and buy my chromium from Costco). Or see a
"comparable" product, Quiessence, at
http://www.foxdenequine.com/ for 34 ¢ a day.

And over $3/day for a "one size fits all" supplement"  that doesn't even
supply the minimum requirement for copper (as shown in the National Research
Council "Nutrient Requirements for Horses" Fifth Revised Edition, which is
considered the "bible" of equine nutrition). And I chuckled when I noticed
that one of the ingredients is "stabilized flax", (which is a specialized
method of grinding called "micronizing" flax used by many manufacturers -
see http://www.horsetech.com/default.htm ,
http://www.omegafields.com/docs/horsesh.html ), seeing that you were told
that "grinding" flax is bad.

But I got a bit miffed when I saw the "Grazing Mystery and Fact" page -
which failed to credit Katy Watts, who developed the research this page is
based on and presented this information in a recent symposium at Rutgers and
in journal articles (and was extensively quoted this year in an Equus
article). See her website www.safergrass.org.

As far as chelated minerals - there are advantages at times for some
minerals, it's not necessary for all. Chelation is a process that attaches a
salt of the mineral to a protein/amino acid that helps carry it to the part
of the digestive system where it might be best absorbed. Almost all
supplement manufacturers get their chelated minerals from the same few
suppliers (Zin-Pro, Trouw, Uckele).
http://www.zinpro.com/information/faq.htm has some articles that will help
you understand how minerals are chelated - but minerals are ALWAYS chelated
individually, then added to the mix (a mix can not, as the "One A Day" web
info implies, be "chelated" after the supplement mix is made up).

As Susan (and others) have said, good equine nutrition is not rocket science
but, if you feel your horse can benefit from some improved rations, it pays
to learn about the ration you're already feeding and what, specifically,
needs to be changed or added to improve it - the "what and why".
Some good places to start would be to go the Ridecamp archives and search
for anything Susan G. has written. Or join the Cushing's group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EquineCushings/ and just lurk and read the
files (while it may be too "specific" for some, the basic diet information
is just that, basic.) And beware of relying on info from someone who wants
you to buy their product - they're trying to sell you something.

Patti Kuvik
Vail AZ