[RC] Thrush - Julie Fuller

Steph,

Living in the NW, most horses get at least a touch of thrush in the winter. I came across this stuff several years ago, and have been using it ever since.

Mix together one part each (I buy it all in pints)

7% iodine
venice turpentine
formaldehyde

Put it in a plastic hoof brush bottle, a spray bottle (which will need replacing often) or a squirt bottle. Apply it every day for a week, then drop off to a couple times a week. Not only will this kill ANY fungus growing, it toughens the hooves. I always try not to get it on the heel, or much ON the frog, though I always make sure it gets well into the groove.

Okay, I'm sure there are those of you out there freaking out over the formaldehyde, and for good reason. Yes, it's a carcinogen. So, don't get it on you. Wear heavy rubber gloves. Keep it away from kids and idiots. (And barking, biting dogs, from people carrying guns, from people who do LD, from anyone wearing a helmet, from anyone NOT wearing a helmet, and especially from anyone throwing Easy Boots at Howard)

Formaldehyde being a carcinogen isn't a big deal with horses for one simple reason. Their life span is not long enough to develop problems due to exposure.

This mixture used to be available through several vets in my area, probably elsewhere too, but they stopped carrying it because of the whole "carcinogenic to humans" scare. Liability and all that. I don't blame them.

I don't know if it's still on the market or not, but there was a product introduced several years ago for toughening feet. It was called Iron Horse, Iron Hoof.... something like that. And while it did not list what was in it, it smelled exactly like my "Special Sauce"

You can get the ingredients from any horse supply place, and the formaldehyde from a drug store.... they will have to special order it. Last time I got it, it was about $11 a pint.

Good Luck

Julie the long winded