Re: [RC] re: angry - Cindy Collins

jlong@xxxxxxxx writes:
Cindy, I agree 100%.  The police can't be everywhere, we are
ultimately responsible for our own safety.

Most folks now days truly don't agree with that.  It's part of the whole
victim mentality.  However, I will say that part of the problem on this
thread is that I do make assumptions and we all know how dumb that can be.
I automatically assume that people would not carry any kind of weapon
without knowing the laws of their state and local area, being properly
trained in safety and usage, and understanding all of the implications.
Never did I suggest "brandishing" a gun.  That comes from watching too
many movies!  When I do carry a gun with me, it is for snakes, bears, big
cats, and self protection if I am directly attacked or to be able to
responsibly put down an injured animal (don't get me started on people who
could have a horse suffering and busted up beyond repair due to an
accident and say they could never shoot it!).  And, if like Howard, a
person feels they do not have the proper personal restraint necessary to
have a firearm with them, then I agree that is a responsible choice NOT to
be so.  The entire conversation is about whether or not this woman should
continue this dangerous confrontation, the implications of doing so, and
if so, how best to protect herself from serious injury or death.  Because
I work with mentally ill children, my best advice, although it would stick
in my craw, too, is to stay away from such folks.  There is, sadly, no
right answer to any of this.  All I can add is that I'll pray for her
safety.  Cindy