Re: [RC] re: angry - Joe Long

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:50:32 -0700, "Cindy Collins"
<ccollins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think you've been watching too many movies...
--CMNewell
This is so arrogant that I probably shouldn't respond, but like a fool, I
will.  It would be my assumption that if someone were to carry a gun, they
would take classes and learn all proper safety and be totally comfortable.
My best answer is not to ride here as it sounds entirely too foolish to
me, but since we were talking about what to do, for many of us "rural"
folks, we often are extremely skilled and very safe and comfortable with
guns.  We are not crazies and not any of the other ridiculous stereotypes
that many city folk have.  Trying to "out run" a bullet is the ultimate
stupidity.  So, yes, if I had made the decision to continue to provoke
these unbalanced people, and they shot at me, I would defend myself, not
turn my backside and give them a really big target!  Cindy

Cindy, I agree 100%.  The police can't be everywhere, we are
ultimately responsible for our own safety.

I was one of the first to suggest "carrying a weapon."  I chose my
words carefully, I said "weapon" not "gun."  For someone who is
properly trained in its use, and who has properly trained their horse,
a gun worn openly (where legal) is IMO the best choice.  It lets the
folks know you have it without you making any agressive moves, and
it's there if you need it to defend yourself if you are attacked.
(BTW, Kahlil was trained to the sound of firearms being fired from the
saddle.)

For those not so trained, or whose horses are not reliably trained to
not spook at gunfire, there are other weapons that can save one's life
in a crisis, such as pepper spray.

Sure, she could just give in to the crazies and not ride there again,
from a pure personal safety view that is the safest ... but
personally, I don't like rolling over to such folks.

Another word about openly carrying a gun:  you do NOT use it to
threaten, and you don't brandish it.  A bedrock principle of
responsible gun use is that you do not draw it from its holster (in a
hostile situation) unless you are fully prepared to kill your
attacker.

I'm no "gun nut."  I own several firearms, but I have not carried one
outside my house for years except when tranporting them when I moved.
But if I found myself riding in such a hostile and potentially
dangerous situation as described in this thread, I wouldn't hesitate
to do so.

On another part of this topic, mounted police are about the best crowd
control there is.  A mob that won't yield even to police in full riot
gear will give ground to horses.  Of course, both the horses and
riders must be properly trained, and it's a good idea to use some
special tack (such as reins with wire centers that can't be cut with a
knife).

All that said, I am quite happy that during my time as a volunteer
deputy sheriff I never once had to draw my pistol in public, let alone
fire it.  The closest I came was a couple of times when I unsnapped
the safety strap so that I COULD draw it quickly if the situation
deteriorated.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx