[RC] Electrolytes - Catfish Daniels

Boy, I’m just about sure that this question has been asked some time before, so I apologize for the repeat.  I am trying to get used to e-lyting my horses, only because of all the information I have read so far.  It is clear that most articles related to endurance support the importance of e-lyting your horses, especially during strenuous exercise and endurance events.  The way it is explained is no rocket science and it all makes sense.

In my case, however,  my horses show me in every way they can that they are not happy with electrolytes.  As many of you probably have the same issue, my horses will not touch any food or water after I have administered e-lytes.  Somebody suggested to administer a syringe of water following the electrolytes, to eliminate the salty aftertaste, etc.  I have had no luck.  My horses just stand there with the saddest look, unmotivated and not touching food or water for the LONGEST time.

Mind you that during any of my previous top-10 finishes, my horse consistently had excellent scores relating to hydration, and taking up with water at their free will never was an issue – neither was eating.  That was before I ever used electrolytes.  (And those were top 10 finishes with great vet-scores)

I know some very successful endurance riders that compete at high level events and do not touch electrolytes and simply believe to “listen” to your horse.  If your horse does not drink or eat, he’s being over-ridden.

Anyway, as I’m not ready to give up the idea of electrolytes quite yet, I was wondering if some of you are using some other “mixture” of things.  Currently I’m using…oh gosh, can’t think of the name at the moment and I’m at the office right now.  It’s the black and yellow tube, something about “3 minute lytes” (or something like that).

At the Death Valley Ride, I watched Heather Reynolds at both vet-stops and she seemed to have something that she may have mixed herself, and it seemed to work.  After she administered it to her horses (hers and Jeremy’s), their horses continued drinking and eating.  So, not to exhaust the subject, perhaps some of you could share with me on what you’re using when it comes to electrolytes.

Catfish

DBL Realtors