[RC] re: Angry in the mountains of Idaho! - Mary - Michelle Fink

Sorry I can't send this privately, but I read RC from archives & can't get
Mary's email address...

Hi Mary,

We have crazy neighbors that try to restrict access to one of my farm
parcels which is at the end of a deeded road, so I feel your pain!

How 'bout seeing if you can borrow a mounted official type person to ride in
with you a few times?  For example, we have mounted rangers and sheriff's
posse here, and if that happened to me, I would likely be able to convince
one of them (or maybe the whole posse, they just need an excuse to ride and
they will be there) to ride with me a couple of times.

First off, it provides you with a very credible witness if they pull
anything else.  Two, it might be enough "presence" to convince the neighbors
to leave you alone.  Three, there is always strength in numbers (is there
anyone you can regularly ride in with?).

Maybe if you carry a small voice activated recorder and pull it out when
they start harrassing you, they would shut up and go away...  It would also
be useful for the sheriff.

I would also call the sheriff's dept. and file a complaint each time that
sort of harassment happens - the sheriff should contact them when this
happens.  I think you might get further by going in and talking to the
sheriff face to face about the problem and about your personal safety
concerns...

If you have been physically threatened, of course you can file a restraining
order.  That is probably the simplest solution for you.

We keep the road to our remote parcel open by letting wood cutters & coon
hunters use our property (they are both ornery guys and won't put up with
any crap from our crazy neighbors).  We also free-lease it to friends that
own horses so that someone goes up and down the road regularly...

Good luck in your quest, and stay safe!

Happy Trails,
Michelle
(Colorado)