From: "Mary Orosz" <mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Angry in the mountains of Idaho!
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:24:42 -0800

I am SO angry right now! I went riding in our "neighborhood" which is a
mountainous, farm area. It is so hard riding in all the deep, crusty snow
right now that I like to ride on snow covered roads instead of in the
pastures. I have permission from a man that lives in the area to ride on
his property. He lives on a private (although it is deeded public access)
road that is a dead end. There is one house back in the woods before you
get to his house. You cannot even see the house. His house is next and at
the end of the road. He has 350 acres with a dirt road that winds through
his property that he plows. It is great to ride on in weather like this.
You see deer, elk and all sorts of creatures. The people in the first house
(a 90 year old woman and her daughter and a man who lives there, are
absolutely territorial and nutso.) They even put up a sign after seeing me
last time that said "No horses or riders". I have told them before that I
have permission to ride on the second property and the owner of the second
property has also told them. Today I was riding down the road and passed
the woman and her daughter and gave them a friendly hello, continued up the
road and ran into Mr. Newton, the owner of the second property. I spoke to
him for about ten minutes and he reiterated that I have permission and that
if the other people say anything to me, I should tell them I am riding up to
his house. On my way back (after one of those absolutely wonderful winter
rides), riding past the crazy people's drive, the daughter immediately
started yelling at me. I tried to reason with her that I had permission,
but she told me I was a big liar. She grabbed my horse's reins and I told
her "not to touch him". I told her that I had just spoken again to Mr.
Newton and that he had again given me his permission to ride on his
property. Over her screaming I told her that I never ride on her property. I
was keeping my cool, but she was still going crazy and ended up wacking my
horse on the rump with a newspaper. Fortunately this was at the end of our
ride and he was tired and did not over react. I ended up just leaving and
riding home. On the way home a car roared up next to me and the man inside
started screaming at me. Again I said talk to Mr. Newton and see that he
gave me permission. He then told me that If I rode on that road again with
my horse that the horse would never come out of there and finished by saying
"and that's a threat!". After he left I was so mad I started crying. I am
so tired of the crazies around here. I watch where I ride and I don't take
my dogs with me anymore because the lady across the road yells about the
leash law. I only like to take them with me when I ride up into the hills
because of the bears.

When I got home, I called Mr. Newton and he told me that these people are so
nutso that they even had him arrested for trespassing when he rode 100 feet
onto one of their roads with his 4 wheeler. - And he had been plowing their
drive and bringing them wood for free. When he told me that, I decided to
call the sheriff and see what I should do. Guess what - nothing! Can't
charge them with assault since it was my horse she hit - even though I was
on him and could have been hurt. They couldn't even do anything about the
threat since it was against my horse and not me. I told the sheriff, that
if I don't come home some day he will know where to look. I am so angry
that I want to go riding there every day and take my husband along although
I probably won't go there. The sheriff told me next time I should pull out
my cell phone and call them while it is happening. But why should I bother
if they won't do anything? This is an absolutely wonderful place to ride
and train with hills and a big meadow and I am just so angry

Any ideas other than staying away?

Mary

High-speed users?be more efficient online with the new MSN Premium Internet Software. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=byoa/prem&ST=1