Re: [RC] [RC] Archive Use (boots, etc.) - terry banister

Besides semantics, I see that personality and method of delivery are causing reactions to posts that get the topic into a negative spin. That's unfortunate.

I personally do not care if people love nailing shoes and pads to their horse's feet, and trying to find reliable, skilled and dependable farriers who are not only good at trimming but also at applying shoes. I am just happy that technology is moving in a direction that enables us who do not want to use that particular hoof-management system to have other options to progress further toward our riding goals. Myself and others have already stated that taking shoes off a performance horse would be a year-long transition process that I would not expect anyone to embrace.

But for those of us who are already there, it is exciting to have technology keep pace with our position and hopefully, continue to evolve. And if I find success with a boot or a product on the market that allows us to keep on trucking, I will definitley share it with those who are interested. All others know how to use their "Delete" button :-o

You asked to hear some barefoot experiences, so I can give you some of mine - even though I know my horse will probably go lame now because I talked about him.

9 1/2 yo Arab gelding, raised in No. Cal. as a backyard pet, never shod.

 I Purchased him  at 6 1/2 yr, and brought to So. Cal. and we began endurance together - still bare foot.  Did 4 LDs, and 10 or 12 50's (just completed Warner Springs, but it's not up yet) in So. and Central Calif. on mountain and hard, rocky desert terrain (6th place Tecopa Hot Springs) - all completed completely bare foot, with the exception of our last two. On these last two 50s, I put Old Macs on (just) his hind feet at the lunch break, because I want to practice wearing boots during the races so that I can progress to multidays and 100s, which I intend to wear boots for at least half of the miles.

We completed our first year completely bare foot, and did no more than 1 race every 4-6 weeks, which almost preserved enough hoof between trims. However, hoofwear on hind was uneven, so started using boots on every other conditioning ride to preserve/grow more hoof between trims. We have had two pulls so far:

1. After first vet check, horse was arguing about going back out, and jumped off trail and whacked his foot on something in the tall grass. Dead lame- pulled. Three days later, stress crack behind toe abcessed and drained. Grew out by next trim. Lesson learned: If I had his perfectly good boots on, I am sure his hoof would have absorbed the shock enough to avoid hoof crack, and we could have completed.

2. Broke my routine and rode two 50s within three weeks. Probably not enough heel by the second race, because at the 47-mile point, horse quit. Planted his feet and would not budge. one and a half hours later, when vet finally arrived on trail, he proclaimed nothing wrong with the horse. Smacked him on the butt, and horse walked the rest of the way up the hill. They said he was grade one, but it was not his feet, and I could walk him in for completion. I chose to RO Lame. I figured horse wasn't having fun and made his point. Lesson learned: Wear boots for more of conditioning rides to preserve hoof.

So, as I posted sometime previous, suggest wearing boots on every other conditioning ride. Go bare sometimes to keep hooves tough and calloused, and the rest of the time, wear boots to preserve hoof.

BTW: Stones are not the only enemy of barefoot horse. SAND is very abrasive (think nailfile) and wears hoof down fast. Riding in sand (long and often) is tough on hooves.

Have been too longwinded. Gotta' go.

Terry

"May the Horse be with you"

 Happy Trails!

Terry

>From: "Jonni Jewell" >To: "terry banister" , >CC: >Subject: Re: [RC] Archive Use (boots, etc.) >Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:07:59 -0600 > > > It already is happening. > > Because riding barefoot does not mean "bare foot" anymore. It means hoof > > protection other than stuff nailed to the hoof. And new boots are coming > > onto the market that make it easier and more reliable than ever. > > >Ah, but you see, back to my original post. No one is bragging about how well >their horses did with boots. They seem to want to tell the world when they >did well barefoot....but the trails they are riding, don't compare. I have >no problem with horses who are shod, booted, or barefoot. I just get tired >of hearing again, and again, and again all about how wonderful these >BAREFOOT horses did, but we never hear when they did not do well barefoot. >Shouldn't we get those stories too? You know, to balance it out? So we can >learn of possible failure too? Horses are winning rides every weekend, that >are wearing steel shoes Oh, and they win BC too! All distances. Why, >I have heard that shod horses can even win 100 mile rides. Imagine >that..........maybe everyone who wins a ride with standard steel shoes, >should post a long story on RC, telling how wonderful their horses did >because they had steel shoes on. You get my drift here Terry??? Barefoot is >fine, and I think most of us on RC agree, that barefoot (no boots etc.) >horses can do very well, when the footing is right...........if you are >going to try to show us it is really something we should all consider, tell >us how well those tough barefeet did over a rocky trail......... > >Jonni > >

Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up ? fast & reliable Internet access with prime features! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=