Re: Subject: Re: [RC] Dogs in RC - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Linda Guidry" <lindag1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have not yet attended one of these rides but I may want to bring my dog
when I do............... I would not allow my dog to be loose in a camp if
I was not
willing to watch him every second to be sure he was not bothered or did
not
bother anyone else. ................ I am
sorry that there are a few people that will ruin it for me before I even
get
a chance. ......................... So, if you want to bring
your dog loose, you HAVE to take the responsibility to keep your dog away
from other people and horses somehow.>

Linda

Linda, I think you are just not getting this......I think bringing dogs to
an endurance ride
should be considered a "priviledge" and not some sort of right.  If the ride
managers say
in the entry form, NO DOGS , or DOGS ON LEASH, then anyone found violating
this should
be sent right away.....

Your dog has absolutely no reason to be loose at an enduarnce ride, even if
you ARE watching
it.  If your dog is so well trained, there is no reason it can't be trained
to be tied up.

I brought my dogs to Camp FAr West one year as my husband did not to deal
with them.....big
mistake. IT was  hot, they were miserable, and one more thing to have to
deal with . They were left
in the trailer while we were on the ride, and tied the rest of the time.
They still came home covered
with stickers, and when we moved camp to leave, we discovered baby
rattlesnakes under the truck...
they could have been bitten.

I am sorry, you just plain can't take dogs everywhere.  When I go horsecamp
at Jack Brooks each year
for 4-5 days, they have to stay home or be boarded.  They have a nice shady
backyard with grass and
are comfortable and safe.  Lonely for me, yes, but safe, and bothering no
one.

I'm tired of seeing dogs dragged to all kinds of inappropriate
events.....our local street festival in October
had all kinds of clueless and ignorant people bringing  their dogs along,
into solid crowds, temps close to 100,
and the pavement was scalding hot.  All the dogs looked miserable.

I am also fed up going to something like an endurance ride, and having to
listen to barking dogs, having
loose dogs come into my camp, pee on my stuff,  like everyone said.  The
people who bring dogs I have seen
like Maryben and Melissa Ribley, who are responsible about it,  are few and
far between.....

Karen