[RC] EPM - Julie Fuller

Laurie,

As someone who had a horse with (possible) EPM before anyone had heard of it, I understand and sympathize with your frustration.

My gelding was diagnosed with "inner ear disease back in 1990. This was after I spent 11 months trying to convince my vet there was something wrong with him. He tripped a lot (which was highly unusual for him... he was a big, fit horse who moved like a cat) He popped FIVE splints in the HIND legs at the age of 15, doing the work he'd always done. He became tentative, depressed, and went off his feed. It was a horrible thing to see...... This was a vital, aggressive, go-get-'em horse who would have gladly died in a spectacular manner for me.

The treatment for inner ear was exactly the same as EPM, and Sonny did get better. It was slow going, however. He was unrideable for 6 weeks, and I spent two months lunging him before he was marginally safe to ride. To his credit, he was much better under saddle than on his own. I swear he tried extra hard for me.

Unfortunately, he began to show symptoms again, nine months after treatment. I was told he'd gotten it in his other ear, and since he only had two, treatment a second time would cure him forever. Of course, we all know better now, don't we?

After the second course of treatment, he improved again... and he hadn't gotten so bad this time. I got another 9 months out of him before he started the downhill slide again, and elected to have him put down. Tough decision for a tough horse.

I had his head sent to OSU, where Dr. Linda Blythe was working on middle ear (and EPM) The autopsy showed no evidence of middle ear. I was upset by that, wanting a black and white answer, but I didn't question my decision..... whatever was wrong with Sonny was untreatable, dangerous, and devastating to his personality.

About 10 month later, EPM hit the media, and after reading about it and case histories, I realized that's what he had. Can I prove it? Not really.... my attempts to have Sonny's head re-tested were fruitless ( I still smile when I think of his big handsome head in a giant jar of formaldehyde, on display somewhere at the college..... Weird, yes. But you had to know Sonny.... He loved being in the spotlight!) So I never got an answer.

Years later, I talked to a vet friend of mine, and asked him "How many of those cases of "inner ear" in Clark County in the early 90's were actually EPM?" He looked at me kinda funny, and said "More than anyone will ever admit to"

That was enough for me.

It sounds as if your horse is doing pretty good..... and I would suggest you go ahead and start conditioning him and enjoying him. Of course, you can still look for a definitive answer to your questions, but be prepared for a big maybe. Life is like that sometimes. In the meantime, Ride!

Good luck, and my thoughts are with you.

Julie