Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Wild Horses Letter in NY Times..on the mark

Hi, lets also not forget that our "wild turkey"is only native to certain states.  They are NOT native to Calif., and the introduced ones are causing a heck of a lot of damage to both ecosystems and crops.

Calif dept. of Fish and Game spent inordinate amounts of $ to try to establish Eastern turkeys in Calif.  When they did not thrive, they then then tried Rio Grande Turkeys, which have proliferated to the point they are a pest.  All for the pleasure of sport hunters.

Do you think there were any biological studies beforehand to figure out what the impact on native plants and other birds would me?  NOpe....they were happily going along with their Turkey release program until a lawsuit from Sierra Club and Native Plant Society stopped them, thank god..

Do I put any trust in the Fish and Game biologists?  Not much.
Karen