Re: [RC] Wild Horses Letter in NY Times..on the mark - Sisu West Ranch

"... I've never seen anyone claim a ring reck rheassnt was the same as a wild turkey. ..."

Sorry that my analogy was not clear.  The ring neck pheasant was imported from china and let loose.  We now hunt and manage their populations often forgeting that they are not a native wild animal like the turkey.

Our free roaming horses are definately descended from domestic horses let loose by man.  And thus are different than Buffalo, whitetailed deer, Wapiti (American Elk), etc.

For whatever reason the genius Equis became extinct on this continent long before Europeans came here.  The ecosystem that existed in 1492 included many large animals, but no horses.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875