Re: [RC] Wild Horses Letter in NY Times..on the mark - Truman Prevatt

While I really don't care one way or the other. An internal combustion engine is an internal combustion engine - independent if it is made by Ford or GM. Down to some level of detail it is the same.

DNA is the biological equivalent - abet a much better one. DNA is the alphabet one which all the words that make up life are based. It is pretty well established that it is a finite alphabet, actually surprisingly small, and the rules for the composition using this alphabet are today coming into fairly sharp focus.  Two animials are the same (or same species) if down to some level the DNA structure is equivalent. The DNA structure of two individuals will be slightly different but that is down in the nits of the DNA structure.  What makes it a Ford vs. GM engine is in the nits.

I would suspect characterization on any other level that DNA identity is driven for political reasons rather than scientific reasons.  If one wants to argue the fine points of this particular piece of work - which I don't - they need to argue on the basis of the minor differences in the DNA structure rather than on pseudo political basis.

Bottom line the status of the wild horses does have a huge political component.  For my money neither side owns any claim to political purity in this argument, be it a NY Times reporter or the honorable Senator from MT.

Truman
PS: I've never seen anyone claim a ring reck rheassnt was the same as a wild turkey.

Sisu West Ranch wrote:
"....that claims that the wild horses are in fact the same genetically as those that evolved in the North America which calls into question the assumption that the wild horses are all feral...."

This does not change the fact that there were no horses or burros in North America in 1492.  All horses in N America are decended from horses raised and owned and transported to N America by persons.  Thus they are different than the native animals who got to N America by flying, walking or swimming.

By the way, I also consider the Ring Neck Pheasant to be different than a wild Turkey, even though both are regulated game species.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640

--
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin