Re: [RC] "Rumber" trailer floor - Sisu West Ranch

"... I found clusters of small holes in the aluminum floor..."

A very common problem.  The best solution probably depends on the extent of the corrosion.  My 1991 Featherlite had that problem.  Here is what I did.

1. I acid washed the floor with phosphoric acid.  I actually used farmers milk line wash and delimer that is dilute phosphoric acid.  Some areas I sandblasted clean.
2. I power washed the floor and power rinsed.  This left the whole floor clean shiny, with all of the white aluminum oxide corrosion material removed.
3. At this point you can see how much repair is required.  You could have patches welded over the bad areas.  I only had a few so I elected to repair them with fiberglass cloth and resin.  The stuff sold at auto repair stores to repair car bodies.  I used a couple of layers of glass and cloth on the bad areas.  When I was done the whole floor was solid and did not move with jumping etc.
4. I then had the floor and 2' up the walls coated with Rhino Lining.  The dealer does it all the time and quotes by the square foot.  This will forever keep horse piss off of the Aluminum.  I expect it to be a permanant repair.

What you do will probably depend on how much work you want to do yourself.  I used the sandblaster because I have one.  The same effect can be achieved with more scrubbing or wire brushing.  I rented the power washer.  Fiberglassing is a mess, but since it will not be seen who cares if the job is beautiful.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875