[RC] Just curious about LD's entry price - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Well,  as we all sit back now at the end of a long, fun ride year, we have turned the ponies out to enjoy some well deserved time off during the holidays and cold Jan.  I always start  the planning and plotting for the new year and all the possiblities that it can bring.  New rides to go to, new plans, a clean slate on the point standings and rested horses.  It is a great time to look forward.  But, and let me say here that I want to be sure that none of this is taken the wrong way, but I did notice something a bit ....well odd.  I have a nice, young horse that is coming 5 in April.  She is a ways from being ready to do 50's.  SO, I thought why not have hubby ride her in a few LD's rides.  It will be good for her and good for him.  (Well, maybe not so good for him.  :)  But, as I was looking at the upcoming rides here in the SE region, I noticed that it costs nearly as much or in some cases as much to enter the LD as to enter the 50.  Why is that?  Does this happen in other regions or just here?  I have never done LD's (maybe shouldn't have said that here) I am just not familiar with the current pricing.  A long time ago, back in the 70's and 80's, if I remember right, they were usually around half of the price of the 50.  I mean it is half the distance, half the fun, should it not be half the price?  Do you people out there that ride only LD feel like that is fair?  (Ok, I just started a stink on RC with that statement.)  Well, food for thought.  Maybe the backlash won't be too bad.  :))

Do you Yahoo!?
The all-new My Yahoo! ? What will yours do?