Re: [RC] Mustangs - Faustina Duffy

Otherwise any uncastrated male from the
herd or elsewhere can impregnate the mare.

How true!

That is of NO fault of the BLM but of the public! I
personaly know of an excellent bay mustang mare that
was adopted - she only cost her owner a mere $125
because no one wanted a bay.

I think that some of the stories told HERE are the best kind...individual testimonies by people who KNOW first hand what they have, and what went into it.  Please also note that the ruling is also states "3 adoptions AND over 10 years of age...."  The life span of a feral horse is NOT as long as one who is in domestic care...so while these individuals probably have as many as 10 years left to be maintained in a "catch pen," they are NOT likely to be useful for another 20 years like a well cared for domestic horse.  Get them at 1-5 years of age, they probably DO live for quite a while, but I expect that the time surviving and occasionally subsisting on less than perfect conditions may prevent them from seeing the same lifespan...I could be wrong, but that it is perception I would carry into an adoption, and I would probably not adopt one over 10....

I am CERTAINLY not going to claim to be a mustang expert....but then again, neither are most adopters....