Re: [RC] neighbor's trespassing stallion mounts my mare! - Susan, Princess of Pink

Did you laugh when the stallion owner said it was YOUR mare's fault for TEASING his stallion and HELPING him tear down the fence?

OMG!!!!  Can't you just see that?

"Come here big boy...here, let me help you RUN THROUGH THE FENCE!"

Oh geeze!  It is probably a State or local authority issue.  Here in OK, the owner of the horse that doesn't belong is responsible for any damages.  The problem is getting the owner to face his responsibilities.  You can sue and win; collecting is an entirely different matter.  There's also the problem of bitter grapes and vindictiveness on the owner's part.

If it's possible to corral the stallion if he ever comes for a visit again, call the authorities and have the animal removed by them.  A lawyer would be your best resource; ask if it'd be worth getting a court order to have the animal restrained or gelded.  Public safety is an issue here as well as the safety of your horses.

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: bevie bevie540@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello - Can anyone tell me what my rights are regarding this specific situation. My neighbor has a wild Arab stallion, 5 years old, not even halter broke. I have four very expensive gaited horses in my field, three geldings, one mare. This neighbor's stallion was in my field when I woke up two morningings ago. He was mounting my mare. This is my best riding horse and mare and I don't want to breed her. There will be vet bill associated with this event which I feel the stallion owner should pay since his horse was in my field.

When we complained to the neighbor he said it was my mare's fault for teasing his stallion. He said my mare helped his stallion break down the fence between our property and if my mare is pregnant it is not his fault and he will assume no liability. Can he lawfully claim no liability? I would appreciate your response very much. Please respond to bevie540@xxxxxxxx Thank you very much.