From: Chris Paus
Sent: 11/29/2004 3:45:19 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] neighbor's trespassing stallion mounts my mare!

You will have to check the livestock laws for your state. If you do a search on livestock laws and name your state, you should get y our answer.  GENERALLY, stallion owners are responsible for their horses and any damage they may cause. Some states have very specific laws about fencing for stallions. You also need to know if your state is a "free range" state or not. If it's a free range state, you are responsible for keeping other people's livestock out. If your state is NOT a free range state, then each animal owner is responsible for keeping his livestock IN.  You might also consult an attorney who specializes in equine law. If you have a state horse council, they could give you better answers.  chris

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: bevie bevie540@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello - Can anyone tell me what my rights are regarding this specific situation. My neighbor has a wild Arab stallion, 5 years old, not even halter broke. I have four very expensive gaited horses in my field, three geldings, one mare. This neighbor's stallion was in my field when I woke up two morningings ago. He was mounting my mare. This is my best riding horse and mare and I don't want to breed her. There will be vet bill associated with this event which I feel the stallion owner should pay since his horse was in my field.

When we complained to the neighbor he said it was my mare's fault for teasing his stallion. He said my mare helped his stallion break down the fence between our property and if my mare is pregnant it is not his fault and he will assume no liability. Can he lawfully claim no liability? I would appreciate your response very much. Please respond to bevie540@xxxxxxxx Thank you very much.