[RC] - Candace Kahn

Can someone tell me what goes on from start to finish on a 25 mile ride?
When the time of the start arrives every rider has his/her own choice as to when to leave to begin the race.  Some like to be first out of the gate and take off down the trail while others prefer to wait until the front runners leave and then leave at a leisurely pace.

I've been told that people "blast" by, unannounced  and completely freak out allot of horses...true?
While this certainly can and does happen in my opinion it is not the norm.  There is trail courtesy that most riders adhere to.  Most riders will ask for the trail when they need to pass and the courteous rider in front moves his/her horse over to the side of the trail at the first safe moment.

Can you really get off and walk *forward* with your horse?
It is your ride and you can do whatever you want.  Some riders and their horses trot and canter almost the entire distance while some walk and trot.  You ride your own ride and you determine what is best for you and your mount.

 Been told that all that counts is finishing the race, that it doesn't matter how you get to the end... true?
The motto for endurance riding is "To finish is to Win" -- and it does matter how you get there.  You have to follow the ribbons and there are vet checks along the way which your horse has to pass in order to continue.  And, there is a vet check at the finish which your horse must pass in order to obtain completion.  A horse must be "fit to continue".

Do you guys really permit any/all kinds of horse *containment* such as stalling, tying, picketing, fencing, etc?
Some riders have corral panels, others, high ties, or electric containment corrals.

Ever anything less than 25 miles?
Occasionally a ride will have a 10-15 mile to introduce new people to the sport of endurance riding.

Been told that "endurance" riders are terribly competitve, cut throat and rude... true/not true?
Endurance riding is a competition as is CTR.  Some people are more competitive than others but that is not necessarily a bad thing.  And while some people may be rude and/or cut throat, again this is not the norm.  You find discourteous people everywhere you go but that does not mean everyone is.

 Do breeds besides Arabs do well?
If you go to the AERC website www.AERC.org you can get a lot of information about this sport that will answer many of your questions.  While Arabians do extremely well in this sport, there are other breeds competing successfully.

How much $$ does a ride cost?
Entry fees vary ride to ride.  I haven't done a ride for less that $50.  Some rides are $100.

Please do tell all, as I haven't the slightest idea what actually goes on... just have heard "here say" and want the straight info, first hand.
I am afraid your "here say" came from a few disgruntled people and does not reflect the sport.  As I mentioned above visit the AERC website for more information and I would suggest you sign up to help at one of your local endurance rides so you can see firsthand what transpires.
PS  Nancy Loving's book is wonderful - a great investment if you are serious about taking up this sport.

With Warm Regards,
Candy
www.boaboots.com

Candace Kahn
Naturally Bare Hoof Care
New and improved Boa Boots are here!!
authorized dealer of Boa Hoof Boots, Barefoot Treeless Saddles,
Equipedic Saddle Pads, Best Friends Grazing Muzzle and MORE!!
Painted Sky Ranch
PO Box 639
Jacksonville, OR 97530
1-877-865-2467