Re: [RC] [AERCMembersForum] 100 mile rides 50 & 25,30,40 etc. - Barbara McCrary

It isn't just a matter of consensus, it's a matter of rules.  In the AERC rule book it states that an endurance ride is 50 miles or greater, so if it is less than 50 miles, it is not identified or recognized as an endurance ride.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2004 3:27 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] [AERCMembersForum] 100 mile rides 50 & 25,30,40 etc.

 My #1 pet peeve about ridecamp is that there seems to be a consensus that if you aren 't doing 50 miles you aren't a "real" rider, how many times have I read that ANYONE can do 25 miles??? That is totally wrong & in my opinion extremely degrading, not anyone can do 25 miles and esp. do it well!  It takes conditioning, time and patience , to have your horse down around 40 within 4 minutes after trotting in off of a 25 mile ride........that takes commitment( CTR rules, we don't have LD's in Ontario) .Plus 5 hours in the saddle is ....5 hours in the saddle!!!:-)

Chris, Kathleen, next time you feel like you are not a "real" rider because you are "only" doing 25 miles, go find your vet, riding coach, local dressage queen etc....  and mention that you ride 12 miles on a "short" training ride, watching their jaws drop will make you feel better :-) :-)   and you realize that because we are around people that do such long distances our perception of "real" riding is a bit skewed. :-) :-)
Doing a 25 mile ride, two years after knee surgery is real endurance!!!:-):-)