[RC] In Memoriam Mexico - Maryanne Gabbani

There are some of you who know the Mohamed Kharma family of Cairo. They've visited with Merryben, Heather and Jeremy and others in the San Jose area in the past year or so. Janine and Sabrine crewed for Jeremy last summer in his Tevis win and Mohamed is the President of the Egyptian Endurance Riding Association. We had our first ride today from Dr. Ali Abel Rahim's stud at the edge of the desert, an easy and and interesting 30 km loop in the desert. Mohamed was riding their older stallion Mexico and having to fight with the old guy to keep him from racing after some of the younger faster horses. Just behind the pyramid of Abu Sir, Mex suddenly stumbled and fell dead, most likely of a heart attack. Mohamed felt him stumble and jumped free. Other riders and association members helped the family to dig a grave in the sand where Mex fell to bury him.

This was most certainly not a case of the horse being over-ridden since Mohamed was wearing his hands out to keep Mex from overdoing it. Other riders saw the event and rushed to help but Mex was gone. He certainly has one of the most impressive funeral monuments to look over him for eternity. Sometimes things just happen...it's painful, but true.

Vale Mexico, you were a good old man. You taught your girls to ride, to jump and to enjoy endurance and you died doing what you loved. Would that we would all be so lucky.

Maryanne Gabbani
Cairo