Re: [RC] Weight on the forehand (was: Gaited horses downhll) - Dyane Smith

Heidi wrote:
A good back has to be a part of a balanced body--one in which the
shoulder assembly, the barrel, and the hip assembly can be covered with
three equal circles--hence the term "the three-circle horse."  That's the
place to start.  Then, there should be good withers, running well back
into the back, and a "sweet spot" for the saddle--but without an undue
"dip."  The loin should be short and strong.  The back should be straight
when viewed from behind.  The barrel should be well-sprung to allow room
for lungs, heart, and hindgut.  With practice, you can learn to recognize
these things in a flash.  Some folks say that having a clear picture of
what the silhouette looks like is a big help--and they are likely right.

Well, this does make sense to me because my horse with the great back never
had a saddle that fit.  At the time, I tried a lot and never found one that
really fit.  The problem was that none of the saddles I tried gave him
enough room for his very reaching shoulder motion.

On the other hand, I rode him with a very loose girth and he never had a
sore back.

He also has a very deep girth and extremely well-sprung ribs.  Until he got
in condition, his shoulders were so narrow that one time he bucked the
saddle up on his neck.  Talk about scary experience!  It is very hard to
dismount from the neck.

Dyane