Re: [RC] Weight on the forehand (was: Gaited horses downhll) - heidi

Kat wrote:>
Believe it or not, it is mostly the muscles of the back and the
underline that are used to do this.  If you want your horse to stay
sound for running down hill (or for anything else for that matter) it
is a good back that a horse needs most. :)

Kat, I absolutely believe this because my best horse had (and, still in
his old age, has) a great back.  But when you are looking for another
horse, how do you "shop for" (recognize) this?

Dyane, first let me reinforce what kat said.  I've seen top endurance
horses with leg faults, but I've never seen one with a poor back.

In answer to your question, to learn to recognize good backs, you have to
spend time studying and looking at lots of horses, just as you have to in
order to recognize good legs, good feet, or good anything else.  But it is
harder with backs, because more and more horses are being bred for a "show
look" these days, which in most breeds seems to involve an elongated back.

Personally, I don't think you can get a back too short.  I've heard people
say they've seen such a thing--but when I look at the horses they refer
to, IMO it isn't a short back that is the problem--it is poor shoulders
and poor hips on a "normal" back, giving the horse a short underline as
well.  A good back has to be a part of a balanced body--one in which the
shoulder assembly, the barrel, and the hip assembly can be covered with
three equal circles--hence the term "the three-circle horse."  That's the
place to start.  Then, there should be good withers, running well back
into the back, and a "sweet spot" for the saddle--but without an undue
"dip."  The loin should be short and strong.  The back should be straight
when viewed from behind.  The barrel should be well-sprung to allow room
for lungs, heart, and hindgut.  With practice, you can learn to recognize
these things in a flash.  Some folks say that having a clear picture of
what the silhouette looks like is a big help--and they are likely right.

Heidi