Re: [RC] riding downhull - Truman Prevatt

Going down hill is all about hind end engagement. It the best wakers make the best downhill horses has been my experience since going down hill safely is all about hand end engagement and nothing about pounding the front end to slow down.

Truman

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Something I've been observing with our distance horses (all non-gaited)
is that the ones that stride out with a good walk and trot are not as
competent at high speeds down hill as those with a short fast stride.

Interesting, as I've found just the opposite to be true, at least in terms
of the walk.  By far my best walkers have been my best downhill horses as
well.  I suspect the ability to overstride 14" to 16" has something to do
with their ability to get their hind legs underneath them going downhill
as well.

Heidi

--
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin