Re: [RC] Gaited horses-downhll - Truman Prevatt

It depends on the horse more than where you live or your definition of a hill. A well balanced horse that knows how to engage his/her hind end will handle down hill just fine even at a good clip. My mare has flown down off steep Appalachian ridge lines in North Carolina and Virginia and down off steep passes in Colorado and Utah and did just fine. A horse that pounds its front end on the down hills is probably pounding its front end on the flat and up hills and you have to wonder about the long terms prospects as an endurance horse. I sold one horse after about a year when I couldn't get him balanced enought to take the down hills.  He's happy as a trail horse.

Truman