Re: [RC] Gaited horses-downhll - RBluebirdpr

In a message dated 11/24/2004 11:49:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, sunibey@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Arab with a walk that could outdistance other horses that trotted and a downhill "scrabble" I guess, that just flew down hills.

I read all this talk about flying down hill.  With 65% of a horse's weight being on the front end, along with the rest pushing him with gravity, I have never thought that running down hill is good for the horse and dangerous for the rider.  Now I guess it depends on one's definition of a hill but where I live a hill is a mountain.  You continue running down hills and I will eventually pass you going up the next hill or at the vet check.  And I do have a Rocky Mountain who also is great at going down hill at my speed.

Phil