RE: [RC] reccomended first ride ? - Catfish Daniels

Hello Candace:

I just read your e-mail.  There is a new ride this year in the PS Region that I am putting on, called the Desert Catfish Classic.  I have carefully selected these trails myself and the footing is very good, the scenery is beautiful, and it is high-desert terrain – safe without any cliffs or dangerous drop-offs, specially in the 30 LD division.  I also have a 15 mile fun-ride division aside from the

30 mile and 50 mile divisions, as well as a special Team Division.

I feel that this ride will be suited very well for any type of rider.  I hope to see you there.  Please be aware that I’m trying to limit it to 150 riders, so you may want to consider sending in an entry.  But first, visit my web-site I created for the ride.  I think you’ll enjoy browsing thru it, and hopefully I’ll see you at the ride.  The web-site is http://www.desertcatfishclassic.com

Now, there are some other rides put on by other managers who I think have excellent rides.  Terry Woolley Howe always puts on some great rides that I find beautiful in terms of scenery, but also great for any type of rider and experience level – and they’re fun. They are usually very safe and designated trails.  Don’t get me wrong, things can always go hay-wire in any type of terrain, but I would recommend her rides to you as well.  There is one coming up in January – the Warner Springs Ride.  It’s at the beautiful Warner Springs resort, same location as this year’s National Championship Ride, but it’s limited to 150 riders and it usually fill up within days.  You may want to contact Terry and see if you can still get in.

Death Valley, put on by Jackie Baumgartner is also a desert ride.  The terrain in my opinion is perfect for somebody that doesn’t want to indulge their horses in too much too soon.  She offers 4 different rides in 4 days, and since most people hang out for several days and do multiple days, it’s a great way to meet some other riders in your region.

There are also some others, but I haven’t done those, so I can’t really speak from experience.

There is also another ride that just appeared on the Calendar this year for this coming weekend in Bonita, CA.  That’s just south of San Diego towards Mexico.  I have never ridden there before, but knowing that area from my Real Estate background, it seems that the terrain is rather gentle.  It’s called the Bonita Turkey trot (I think).

Good luck J

Catfish Daniels

DBL Realtors