Re: [RC] Wintec Wide/going from treeless back to conventional saddle - Karen Sullivan

Interesting post for me as I am having a problem with the Sport Saddles on
my 5 year
old Arab/paint mare; after riding these saddles basically trouble free for
over 10 years.
She is both very wide and high in the withers.  I had been riding her in a
training and
Schooling model with stirrups back.....and am now realizing that it is too
tight under
the pommel, at the sides.  So I tried my old endurance model, which has the
old type front (not peaked)
and found it fit in the pommel area....but sat on her withers.  However, she
moved so
wonderfully in it, compared to the other....that I took the plunge and had
the front of the
saddle slit and cut back to clear the withers.  Am still testing it.....

Here are some thoughts:

Treeless saddles can't improve or ruin your position unless they have the
stirrups in a
good or bad position....if that makes sense.  I have two SS with the
stirrups moved way
back...and feel I ride very balanced in a dressage position.  Yes, it is
still not like riding in
a saddle with a twist, and your legs are harder to get on the horse....but
you can still ride
balanced and manage to give the horse correct cues.....

People who get in sport saddles and hate them often are trying the wrong
seat size and stirrup
position.

My friends also have a couple horses that have prominent spines or croups
and probably need
a saddle that is lifted off the spine more on either side.  Again, we are
looking at modifying the
sportsaddle; although one friend has a Kieffer that fits her horse and she
used for lessons and trail
occasionally. Other friend (hi Kim) just got a terrific deal on a Wintec pro
endurance with the wide
gullet.  First try on her horse and it did seem to be a bit tight through
the gullets area, but maybe we
had it too far forward.  Still needs to be tweaked.  Tried on my mare it was
still way too tight on her...
so that saddle is a no go for me.  It was odd to sit in a treed saddle
again......but not too awful. What
I sort of object to with the English style saddles in general is that the
way they are designed hangs
the stirrup bar off the front of the tree...which has tree "points" that
bear down in the front.  Seems just
plain logic that when if you stand in the saddle; you are jamming the front
part down in front.....I just
feel this is a very poor design, and many english saddles have stirrups too
far forward anyway.......

Like this poster, I am also curious about the Wintec Wide.....but even if it
seemed to fit my mare, I am still
not sure about that stirrup design.  It is a new design and saddle, so I am
sure there is not that much practical
info on it yet....

I am still unconvinced that a saddle needs a tree to work.  I watch my mares
backs, from side and behind and see
so much flex and change of shape I do not believe a stiff tree would be
comfortable, no matter how well they
seem to fit on a standing still horse.  I have sat in a Free and Easy, and
truly did not like all the "stuff" between
me and the horse.  You are perched up so high off their back, how can you be
balanced?  I also did not like the
design of pining the tree to the flexible panels in 4 places.....

But the Wintec pro endurance did sit the rider fairly close to the horses
back....and it did seem like you could feel
some flex in the tree....

Ansur is totally out for me.....sat in several, disliked them.....and
refuse to pay that much for a saddle that sits
right on the withers!!! May be okay for schooling in an arena or short rides
but I can't see all day in it.....

What I would truly like is an English style treeless.....with a knee roll,
panels with a gullet and wither clearance,
that hangs the rigging and stirrups in a way that they distribute weight
over the panel.....so far the only saddle I have
found that seems to have accomplished this is the Harmony from
Canada....huge waiting list on those but I am seriously
considering it......

The Heather Moffit English Treeless (forget which style) is also of
interest.....pretty pricey

Karen