[RC] Wintec Wide/going from treeless back to conventional saddle - Karen Casemier

Couple of questions, related to each other.

I've been riding my mare in a treeless (originally Sportsaddle, now just got a new Barefoot). She has a very broad, flatback and is also short backed/short coupled. (14.3 Morgan).

The treeless (both models) seem to work well for her, but I just cannot seem to really get a good position. I have recently started working with our young QH gelding in a Wintec Pro dressage saddle, and immediately I was able to sit more correctly and quietly.

I know many people feel the treeless saddles make you improve your position, but my recent experiences are showing me that I am developing some bad habits riding in a treeless saddle. I am much quieter, more balanced, and therefore more effective in a well-fitting treed saddle. I think because I have short, muscular legs, and my mare is so flat and broad, that without some help from a tree, I just cannot correctly get my legs around her barrel.

Are there others who have gone from conventional to treeless, and then returned back to conventional? My mare's shape is perfect for treeless saddles, but I don't think mine is ;>) I've had some issues with my flatwork with her, and the more I work with my other horse, I think the issues are because of my imbalance (she is VERY sensitive to shifting weight). I do not want to compromise my mare's comfort - she is so difficult to fit because of that flat back - and if I cannot find a reasonably priced conventional saddle that works for both of us, I'll continue to stick it out in the treeless.

I am particularly interested in trying the new Wintec Wide saddle, as I need something that I can adjust as my mare gets fit and then as I let her down somewhat over the winter. I am also on a TIGHT budget (husband in vet school - YIKES). I generally really like the Wintecs, and have actually sat in one of these saddles and felt comfortable in it. I'm just wondering if it truly does accomodate those flat backed ponies. I did check the archives, but there are only a couple of informative posts about this specific saddle.

Anyone who has experiences to share about either issue - returning to conventional saddles in general or with the Wintec wide specifically - I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Karen, and Mazzie who is sick of Karen flopping all over