Re: [RC] horse blankets - Barbara McCrary

The best luck I've had is with a cotton blanket shell (not nylon), lined with wool.  The wool wicks the sweat away from the horse and takes it out through the cotton.  As Ed wrote, take it off later and the horse is dry.  The cotton shell is damp, however.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 1:07 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] horse blankets

Old TB track trick.  By a wool (not synthetic) blanket liner.  The sweat will transpire into the wool.  Remove later to a dry horse.

Personally, I have always walked a couple of miles in and turned them out into a pasture.  They have done fine even in WI MT real winters.

Ed

PS. I don't do this after a competition.  They are much more tired and can't move as much to keep warm

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640